Career objective is a paragraph that explains in summary your experience and skill that’s applicable to a new job you apply for. You write the career objective as a unique selling point for the first time the hiring committee sees your CV or resume. For writing the career objective section, however, sometimes it’s difficult for some people. This happens because they are lacking in explaining their strength, soft and hard skills, or uniqueness. In this article, we will discuss how to describe yourself and fill in the Career Objective section.
How to write a career objective:
- Don’t put again your name and address in this section.
- Avoid exaggerating promises and hopes.
- Adjust and write down your skill and ability based on the position you will apply for.
- Avoid describing what you’d like from your next job and instead focus on what you can offer.
- Start with a strong trait, add 2–3 skills, describe your professional goals, and say what you hope to do for the company.
- State the position to which you’re applying and use the name of the company.
- Keep it short. 2–3 sentences or around 30–50 words.
- Avoid first-person pronouns.
- Use action verbs to add impact.
- You can insert some values in the career objective, the list of values below.
A recent study found out what skills employers value most in their student candidates:
|ATTRIBUTE||% OF RESPONDENTS|
|Ability to work in a team||82.9%|
|Communication skills (written)||80.3%|
|Strong work ethic||68.4%|
|Communication skills (verbal)||67.5%|
|Interpersonal skills (relates well to others)||54.7%|
|Strategic planning skills||39.3%|
|Fluency in a foreign language||4.3%|
Chart Source: https://zety.com/blog/student-resume
Here are example of right and wrong career objective to write
A career objective of a project coordinator:
Management graduate with problem solving skills, leadership, and communication skills. Seeking a position as a project coordinator at Greenpeace Philippines to tackle the social-environmental issues.
Looking for a project coordinator role where I can apply my skills. I’m an energetic, cheerful and conscientious person who wants to make a difference in tackling social-environmental issues.
A career objective of a fashion designer:
Highly passionate fashion designer with a certification of the winner of the Vogue Magazine Young Visionary Designer Under 20 at 2020. Looking to fill a position as a fashion designer at Miu Miu. Have a specialization in tropical patterns. Sustainability is the principle.
I’m a passionate person in fashion. I’m great at designing plus-size women’s clothing. Looking for a job as a fashion designer. I’m good at making tropical patterns.